Grants and Contracts Assistant
Grants and Contracts Assistant
School of Molecular & Cellular Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Position Summary: This position is part of the School of Molecular & Cellular Biology sponsored research/grants team. This team manages financial and regulatory aspects of sponsored research grants, contracts, and subcontracts for faculty investigators in a nationally recognized top-volume research environment for the Departments of Biochemistry, Cellular & Developmental Biology, Molecular & Integrative Physiology, and Microbiology. This is an entry level position, responsible for assisting in monitoring assigned grants and contracts financial activity to ensure compliance with guidance and regulations. Provides assistance to senior level staff and Principal Investigators in creating budgets and spending plans for assigned grant submissions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and provide financial plans and reports associated with the administration of grants and contracts. This includes expenditure reports and forecasts requested by senior grants staff and/or Principal Investigators.
- Provide analysis and support to professional staff in grant preparation and management. Collect, maintain, and prepare data necessary for such analyses.
- Take actions necessary for the accurate administration of grants and contracts, including monitoring application status, tracking award processes, establishing sub-awards, confirming expenditures, creating journal vouchers, performing employee labor distributions, and reconciling accounts.
- Facilitate the grant proposal process, including pre-award, post-award, and sub-award requirements.
- Process and submit sub-award invoice requests on grant funds after approval for payment by senior grants staff and PI.
- Assist senior grants staff with grants close outs. May include reviewing for unallowable expenses, clearing encumbrances, and communicating with faculty regarding final close out plans.
- Assure the administrative requirements associated with federal appropriations, cost sharing, matching funds, and unit administered grants, etc. are attained.
- Utilize grant submission and tracking programs including Grants.gov, Research.gov, PRIDE proposals, and other sponsored research electronic systems. Provide interpretations of travel regulations, Banner coding, and other policies and procedures that pertain to grants.
- Review invoices and statements, verifying information, ensuring funds are available and fiscal activity complies with policy and procedures.
- Keep abreast of developments in this discipline.
- Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of the MCB Business Office.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, economics or a field related to the position.
- University grants management experience.
- University of Illinois Certified Research Administrators (Illini CRA)
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles used for determining allowability, reasonableness, and allocation of costs applicable to grants, contracts, or other agreements.
- Effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills; including proven abilities working with diverse types of business information.
- Excellent skills in using software and database applications for accounting and general financial tracking.
- Effective communication, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills.
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to, cultural and linguistic differences.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proficiency working with commonly-employed software and databases.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5040 - Grants and Contracts Associate position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the deadline date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on February 13, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of the posting. Upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three professional references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.